Thursday, August 31, 2006

tv land

Before getting into the rhetoric, I want to thank you all for your feedback on my work. Thanks!

So I found myself digging back into some old files and I found these. I worked on this pilot show "3.2.1.Penguins!" six years ago. I have to admit that despite the production limitations (which were very many) it was fun working on it. I got to work with the amazing Michael Spooner who became my mentor. His talent and generosity are not of this world.




#1 was for the penguins' spaceship, which was probably the most fun to design. Inside and out. I even ended up modeling it in the computer, for the show. I inspired the design from Raymond Loewy's 1934 pencil sharpener.
#2 was for an episode with jelly aliens whose mob boss was this scout leader named Uncle Blob. I created a whole set of characters and gags that ultimately were not used. The only thing that was used from what I proposed for that show was the name of Uncle Blob. Ha! Showbiz baby!
#3 was the Space Lounge where the Penguins would perform the end show musical number as a throwback to Hanna-Barbera's "Banana Splits" show.

16 comments:

Maly Siri said...

new post! amazing stuff, doesn't really look like other things i saw from you but very funny. Take us to the moon, Daniel! lol.

Tom said...

This stuff is awesome. The first pic of the ship is a stand out for me, too cool. I want to see all those characters you designed that never got used!

Mark Behm said...

Sigh. I miss it too. These drawings were one of the reasons I took the job.

A said...

maravilloso!!!!

craig said...

top pic is fantastic! Has a Maurice Noble feel...

Aaron Hartline said...

This is some of my favorite work of yours Dan...

I really love that 50's feel you captured.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic work, great styles!

Anonymous said...

So much great work you did going into that show...which never made it to the screen. Sigh.
Seeing your development work on Penguins was one of the highlights of the whole BI experience for me.

Show more! :)

Vanhoozerbot said...

Absolutely awesome stuff.
I am a huge fan, and I appreciate you sharing.
Those were certainly "the days" at the studio.

Jeremy

Anonymous said...

As always Daniel....... great work!!!
So good to see it again. You are a true
inspiration.

Tim said...

Absolutely beautiful, Daniel.
I like seeing your recent work too.
Let me know if you ever want some freelance work... that I can't afford to pay you for.

Randy said...

Penguins was definitely a fun show for me to watch. Loved the visuals, so thanks to you and all others who worked on it.

Keep posting, I'll definitely have this blog bookmarked.

~R

Jose Ramos said...

.Hey Dani me encanta tu arte , fantasticos dibujos y enviroments ,..Sigue asi tio!

Hadibi @ gndagnor said...

Awesome stuff! :O

Andrea Blasich said...

nice work man!
So you didn't go to Paris!
I hope to see you and Kira soon.
Ciao

virginiavalle.blogspot.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.